STOP what you are doing and GO prepare these Smoked Stuff Apples for dessert tonight. I have always loved “baked” apples for dessert but I really wanted to try something a little different and “dress” up the traditional baked apples. We smoked these on our Traeger and used Hickory pellets – they really couldn’t have turned out better! Overflowing with crisp cinnamon oats and topped with vanilla ice cream, what more could you want?! Shane and I had another couple over last night and these were a huge hit!
While we “smoked” these apples – you could definitely make these just as easily in the oven. I would suggest baking them at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until apples are tender and bubbling. However, if you have a grill/smoker I would encourage you to test it out this way – you’ll never go back!
- 6 granny smith apples
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil (
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- vanilla ice cream
- caramel sauce
- Prep smoker (we have a Traeger – and set it to 375 degrees and Shane used Hickory pellets).
- Peel and chop 1 apple. Then slice the tops from remaining apples and hollow them out using a melon baller. Chop scooped out apple and set to the side to use for filling.
- Stir together old fashioned rolled oats, coconut oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped apple.
- Scoop mixture into hollowed out apples until completely full – sprinkle any leftover filling over the top.
- Smoke on grill for 40-45 minutes or until apple skin is softened and visibly bubbling.
- Serve in bowl – topped with vanilla ice cream, caramel drizzle, and cinnamon.
As always, ENJOY and please be sure to tag me @littlehouseinop if you test out any recipes – I love to see them in all of your kitchens.