I made these crockpot ground turkey gyros a while back and totally spaced on uploading the recipe to the website. These gyros were so easy and I personally loved the ground turkey versus the ground beef – makes the gyros feel lighter. I included the tzatziki sauce that I use but you could also buy store bought as well!
- 1 large white onion (chopped)
- 1.5 pounds of ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 gloves of garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 small “pocket” pitas
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 1 cup of feta cheese
- tzatziki sauce
- Place chopped onion on bottom of slow cooker.
- In large bowl combine ground turkey, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Once mixed, shape meat mixture into a round rectangular loaf. Lay meat mixture loaf on bed of onions.
- Cover and cook on LOW heat for 4-5 hours or on HIGH heat for 2-2.5 hours.
- Remove meat, let cool for 10 minutes before thinly slicing.
- Stuff pita pockets with meat and onions and then top with tomatoes, feta, and tzatziki sauce.
Stir together 1 small container of plain greek yogurt, 1 cup chopped cucumber, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoons fresh dill, 1/2 teaspoon of honey, 1 clove minced garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. CHILL BEFORE SERVING!