YOU GUYS! These are the most perfect Christmas Eve or Christmas morning breakfast menu item. This recipe started somewhere and ended up somewhere completely different and I am not mad about it. That is what I love most about creating recipes; thinking you are creating one thing and ending up with something else.
These Bourbon Maple Sausage bites are savory and SWEET with a hint of sassy (that’s the bourbon). These bites call for a few more steps than normal BUT they are more than worth it and will definitely be a crowd pleaser or a spouse please (thanks COVID).
A few notes about the recipe; the bourbon is OPTIONAL. I used Wild Turkey but really you can use anything you have on hand or NONE at all. You will probably have a little bit of sausage left over depending on how much sausage you put in each cup. I did use the Maple Chicken Sausages from Trader Joe’s and they are delicious. However, you could also substitute bacon or regular sausage as well!
Recipe is listed below, as always let your girl know if you decide to test this one out!
- 1 package (12oz) maple sausage links (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 tubes (8oz) crescent rolls
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2-1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In skillet, cook & stir sausage pieces until warmed and lightly brown (about 4 minutes).
- While sausage is cooking/warming up; mix together 1/2 cup of maple syrup and 1 tablespoon of bourbon.
- Next unroll both tubes of dough; generously brush both sides of the dough with maple/bourbon mixture.
- Pull apart dough into pieces using the perforated lines (8 pieces/crescent rolls per tube); leaving you with 16 individual pieces (1 piece per muffin tin).
- Taking 1 piece at a time, squish the dough into the bottom of each muffin tin and evenly sprinkle with brown sugar and chopped pecans before topping with sausage.
- Drizzle remaining maple syrup mixture evenly over the muffin tins.
- Cook for 15-16 minutes or until crescent rolls are golden brown.
- IMMEDIATELY REMOVE BITES FROM MUFFIN TIN AND LET COOL ON A PLATE TO AVOID SYRUP HARDENING.