Cooking and baking have always been a way for me to relax, find calmness, and bring joy to myself and others. I’ve always believed that recipes have a way of bringing people together in more ways than one, and this recipe is no different. In fact it isn’t just a recipe; it’s a memory, a tradition, and a reminder of my Grandma Donna.
Ever since I can remember when we spent the holidays at my Grandparents, my grandmother would have at least 3 batches of Scotcharoos. Usually, she would hide a bonus batch in the basement and only her favorite grandkids knew the hiding spots of her secret stash (don’t worry, I always knew the hiding spots).
2020 marked the year that my grandparents moved into an assisted living facility; GOOD NEWS they are in Kansas City, but the sad news is it was the first time we didn’t celebrate the holidays at their home. The same home they had from the time that I was born. So, while this was hard for us we found new ways to celebrate with them and of course I turned to baking.
I FINALLY got my hands on my grandma’s recipe and I will never let it go. I vow to make these every year during the holidays just to feel a little bit closer to my grandma! I hope you humans find these little bars of goodness as delicious as I do and are able to share them with some of your special humans.
Recipe is listed below, I would love to know if you try out this recipe and I know my Grandma would as well!
- 6 cups rice crispy cereal
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 6 ounces butterscotch chips
- Generously grease 9×13 baking dish.
- Bring sugar and syrup to boil and then remove from heat. IMPORTANT: remove from heat as soon as the sugar and corn syrup have boiled and mixed together. If you leave the sugar and syrup over heat for too the long the Scotcharoos will be too hard!
- Stir in peanut butter until combined and then add rice crispy cereal. Transfer rice crispy mixture into greased dish and pat down until mixture is spread evenly into baking dish.
- Melt chocolate chips and butterscotch chips together and then spread evenly over rice crispy mixture!
- Refrigerate until chocolate has hardened, about 20 minutes and ENJOY!
*Scotcharoos should be stored at room temperature after chocolate has hardened!