FAMILY FAVORITE: BREAKFAST CASSEROLE! I haven’t posted a breakfast recipe in a while BUT trust me, this one will make up for my lack of recipes, I PROMISE. This is a recipe that has actually been passed on to me from my aunt, and it has quickly become a go-to in our house. It’s also something that taste just as good warmed up, so I plan on prepping this for weekly breakfasts once school starts back up! This recipe is SO simple, SO FLUFFY, and SO delicious!
Breakfast recipes have a funny way of getting passed on from human to human and this one is no different. My aunt has made this casserole for as long as I can remember. She always has one prepped whenever we have family get togethers and I finally snagged the recipe. I was shocked to see “bread” and “ground mustard” on the ingredient list, BUT let me tell you… it makes for the most perfect breakfast casserole.
Be sure to check out the notes below; because there are a few very important key steps to this recipe that can’t be missed. Most importantly, make sure to note that this recipe needs to be prepped the day before to allow the casserole to sit, covered, in the fridge for 24 hours! Other notes listed below!
The full recipe is listed below! Be sure to let me know if you test this one out or tag me on Instagram (@littlehouseinop), I absolutely love seeing these recipes in your homes and in your kitchens!
- 9 eggs (beaten)
- 1 pound cooked sausage
- 2 cups (finely) shredded sharp cheddar
- 4 slices of white bread (cubed)
- ground mustard
- Generously spray your 9×13 (glass) baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Evenly distribute the 4 slices of cubed white bread at the bottom of the glass baking dish, the 4 slices should pretty much cover the entire base of the dish in one layer!
- Next layer the crumbled cooked sausage evenly over the cubed bread. Then pour your 9 beaten eggs over the entire baking dish, distributing the eggs evenly throughout the dish!
- Then pour 3 cups of milk over your casserole, distributing the milk evenly into the baking dish!
- Next drizzle ground mustard evenly over the baking dish (roughly about 1-2 tablespoons).
- Lastly, sprinkle 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese as the final layer of your casserole!
- Cover and place in the fridge for 24 hours before cooking – best prepped the day before!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and remove the breakfast casserole from the fridge.
- Uncover and place breakfast casserole on the lower level of your oven and cook for 60-65 minutes or until the center of the casserole reaches 160 degrees.
- SERVE & ENJOY!
- IMPORTANT: This recipe needs 24 hours in the fridge before cooking!
- I prefer using a glass baking dish to avoid any of the casserole sticking to the dish!
- WHITE bread is the only bread that will allow the casserole to cook correctly, I have tried wheat bread and it just doesn’t turn out how it’s supposed to!
- Make sure the breakfast sausage is cooked before adding it to your casserole! Also, I have used a variety of sausage, including turkey sausage and it all works just the same!
- For the milk, you can use your personal preference – although I do suggest using 2% or skim!
- I suggest placing the casserole on the lower level to avoid burning the cheese!