Frosted Flakes, THEY’RE GREEEAT! Best perk of living with the in laws? Learning all the new and delicious recipes from my MIL, these potatoes being one of them. This recipe will forever have a permanent place in our new kitchen. They’re crunchy, cheesy, and just little bit sweet – the most perfect combination of goodness.
And yes, I purposely used Frosted Flakes instead of Corn Flakes, trust me when I say, it puts these potatoes over the top.
I know there are a variety of different ways you can make these potatoes, but I promise you, using Frosted Flakes instead of Corn Flakes is the best option possible. The sweetness adds just a little something extra to the potatoes without going too crazy.
These potatoes are the perfect side for any entree, not to mention they would be a great addition to any dinner party. While this recipe does require a few more ingredients than I’m usually inclined to use, the recipe itself is quite easy and straightforward. You’ll definitely want to add this to your list of recipes to try, and I promise once you make it once you’ll be coming back for more.
The full recipe is listed below! Be sure to let me know if you test this one out or tag me on Instagram (@littlehouseinop), I absolutely love seeing these recipes in your homes and in your kitchens!
- 32 oz. frozen Southern Style hash brown potatoes
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (about half of a small onion)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (12 oz.) container of sour cream
- 10 oz. Velveeta cheese (diced)
- 2 cups Frosted Flakes (yes, I said frosted)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously grease a 13×9 in baking pan, set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, combine all ingredients (1/4 cup melted butter, chopped onion, cream of chicken soup, container of sour cream, and Velveeta cheese) except the toppings, leaving the frozen potatoes for last to let them dethaw a bit.
- Lastly, add potatoes and mix together until all ingredients are evenly coated.
- Once mixed, pour into 13×9 greased baking dish and evenly spread around.
- Next, mix together frosted flakes and 1/4 cup of melted butter. Evenly spread onto of potatoes and sprinkle with 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered for 1 hour.
- Serve & ENJOY!
To Store: Potatoes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and best eaten within 2-3 days. Potatoes are best reheated in the oven, for a crunchier taste. However, they can also be reheated in the microwave.